Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: The Game  (Read 91752 times)

PTTG

• The following post is procedurally generated:
Re: The Game
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2012, 11:55:43 am »

I'm wondering how well the engine would work on a purely abstract angle.

Let's say you want to make a total annihilation type RTS- something with loads and loads of units and a combination of base building and remote control. For such a game to work, units would have to be able to fight intelligently in places on the globe where players aren't.

For instance, let's say the players have conflicting bases- one near Petersburg, the other near Paris. The players are camped out in their bases, so only the Petersburg and Paris areas are actively being simulated.

If the player wants to attack the other's base directly, then the game works fine- the robots march over and the combat all happens in a loaded area. But what if both players decide to go to the south pole? There's no players there, so (presumably) the areas don't exist. The game could certainly say that there's some flying robots in the area, but combat smart enough to be aware of rocks or small terrain features wouldn't be possible.

Are there reasonable workarounds? Can the engine load up arbitrary chunks of terrain?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:19:30 pm by PTTG »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2012, 12:24:59 pm »

Yes it can generate any patch of land that's needed. Of course, there are memory constraints, so some things could be handled statistically.

PTTG

« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2012, 12:56:19 pm »

Hmm... Sounds neat. I guess I would want to be able to load up a low-detail elevation-only map, and a separate player vision map... hmm...

I can't wait to play with this engine!

zzz

« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2012, 10:30:46 am »

All I want for xmas is a planetary invasion simulator. Don't mind if I'm the invader or defender.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2012, 04:45:13 am »

All I want for xmas is a planetary invasion simulator. Don't mind if I'm the invader or defender.

Trying to play the bad guys from Chronicles of Riddic 2 ? : P
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

zzz

« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2012, 09:09:10 am »

Mass Effect and Stargate models are freely available. Could do a Reapers vs Human Alliance or Goauld vs US Airforce game.

PTTG

« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2012, 12:16:02 pm »

There's definitely something to be said for a War of the Worlds type asymmetric warfare game.

The Aliens have a totally fixed and extremely limited supply of very powerful material, which gets distributed initially in a series of directed landfalls. I'd even let them target places with the landing pods

The Humans get a virtually limitless supply of really weak "insurgents" or what have you, plus a moderate assortment of more tough military units and bases. As long as they have bases, they can get more units, and certain other facilities (mines, factories, cities, power plants, all of specific types) allow specific units to be made. So if you have uranium mines, U refineries, and missile factories, you can have ICBMs.

The Aliens need to destroy 99% of the population- presumably by attacking cities- AND all the military units.

The Humans need to destroy every Alien unit.

DurMan667

« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2012, 02:52:38 am »

There's definitely something to be said for a War of the Worlds type asymmetric warfare game.

The Aliens have a totally fixed and extremely limited supply of very powerful material, which gets distributed initially in a series of directed landfalls. I'd even let them target places with the landing pods

The Humans get a virtually limitless supply of really weak "insurgents" or what have you, plus a moderate assortment of more tough military units and bases. As long as they have bases, they can get more units, and certain other facilities (mines, factories, cities, power plants, all of specific types) allow specific units to be made. So if you have uranium mines, U refineries, and missile factories, you can have ICBMs.

The Aliens need to destroy 99% of the population- presumably by attacking cities- AND all the military units.

The Humans need to destroy every Alien unit.

Easy to win as the humans.  Just build one squad of guys with the sniffles and watch the magic happen.

smgarden

« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2012, 08:09:59 am »

Firstly,I'm so sorry about my poor English.To be honest,I want to give some advice without reading your discussion.(Cause I can't understand most of then) An anime named<Accel World>,which televising on Japan,is great similar to your engine.A scene as big and actual(but you could find different styles of the real world) as the EARTH,is used as a stage where heroes (created by system,according to juveniles's psychic trauma,so everyone of them is the one and only) fight for the points```OK,the story is so so,but the idea,at least on my viewpoint,is great as your OUTERRA.Why not to search the anime'torrent on google and download it for an expand field of vision,just for fun?

cireyoretihw

« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2012, 01:12:36 am »

well a chance to go back to the cave and take only the tech to start fresh is a awesome thing...

would like to design new things without the restriction that there is no market for them or people say they can't be done .... but they may really change the way we live ...

why be restricted by fix wing and gas driven devices ...
why be build what has always been built just because it was ...
what if we forgot all the bad and only thought of the good things ..

think of making new tech and building future not past ...

like why build buildings ... build a water slide connecting hydro farms and fish farms as part of 1 mile square structure on 50 ft arches or supported by floating pyramids so ground level is keep natural state ...

rail-less train cars using some kind of hovering superstition ... ( you think not possible in Real World) but we are talking about fantasy world RIGHT where anything is possible ... if we only knew how ...

legged not wheel ...... spider legs
solar not fuel

what if we expand on what we know now and break into a different future ...

as far as trade and money ... its good but more then one type of income ...

if something can become part of the Outerra world for all to use then it should be like in-game royalty income but if it can be passed between players (like a crafted object) the in-game commerce

if i design something from scratch then i could publish it to Outerra for a commission or royalty and then it will be accessed by all
but it i keep the rights and build something from it and sell the finished product to another player for some barter/trade methods allowed ...

BTW i hope that  have the options not to be in the REALM that combat is in but have option to enter it if i wish to ...

i also like the TIME TRAVEL REALM option ... like what DOOR do i enter to day ...

OR maybe every one is on a different world but all their activity is echoed onto a master copy world that they can jump into or back from... like the nightmare version ..

ALSO would like the ability to be part of the Outerra fine tuning

JUST idea how hard would it be to have world
Ringworld (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworld)
or Dyson sphere (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere)

Sunnyyello

• Nothing to see here, move along...
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2012, 10:53:34 pm »

Has anyone proposed that energy itself be used as currency in conjunction with other forms forms trade? What do you guys think of that prospect? 
I could waste my time training a noob but the end result would just be a really well trained noob...

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2012, 11:37:10 pm »

Well if the fuel can be materialized and stored then it could be used to barter deals. Barrels of XXX for women and spices.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Sunnyyello

• Nothing to see here, move along...
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2012, 11:51:44 pm »

Well if the fuel can be materialized and stored then it could be used to barter deals. Barrels of XXX for women and spices.
Spices...I think I'm gonna need an entire silo of energy ready at all times if that's the case!!! Oh yeah women are good too. haha  ;)
I could waste my time training a noob but the end result would just be a really well trained noob...

GHAO

• Thinking
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2013, 12:13:25 pm »

Okay, my two cents:
When you begin, you are offered a choice: explorer, constructor, empire-builder, citizen. More could be added, like soldier. When you click one, you are given your avatar, with the name USERNAME_NUMBER. So I would become GHAO_1. If, once you've exited and reopened, you decide to be something different, you change the number. So username is always obvious, but you can have multiple avatars depending on what takes your fancy each night. Suppose I started as an empire-builder, GHAO_1. Next night I choose the same, the username GHAO_1 remains. The next night I am a citizen, I become GHAO_2. As more options come through, the end number increases, but to show-up the developers, they get a special insignia (like cameni_100!) showing they can't be attacked or something (because they're testing in-game or doing something else). Maybe modders testing can enter the sandbox, but appear in mulitplayer still, albeit with the ! at the end. Perhaps.
Once you've clicked your choice, you get taken to a splash screen, with the options of designing your avatar's appearance or just not caring. Not caring either creates a random appearance or uses your previous appearance. Designing takes you somewhere similar to Sims, perhaps, with basic face shaping, hair styling, clothes choosing.
Then you're in the game. An explorer walks, drives, flies into the wilderness, looking for resources or good places to settle. Back at base (if there is one), he can use the coordinates from the chromium browser to show off his discoveries. Out in the field, he can also call (using chat functions) people out to begin salvaging, or drilling, etc.. A constructor is in charge of roads and railways. To avoid flamewars in realtime, there could be a delay of 24 hours in which any road pattern saved by a constructor is permanent. A constructor also builds the oil wells, algae plants, etc.. An empire-builder plans and rules over these. When military interaction and diplomacy come into play, the empire-builders become more important - they choose tribes/clans etc, and who 'owns' what. They can set jobs as well - suppose wood needs cutting down from XXX and taken to YYY. A citizen does these jobs. They could be a doctor ('healing' injured people, although in-game death would have to be carefully managed), or a truckdriver, or a pilot. They would use a jobs board, perhaps similar to ones used in AirHauler (for Flight Simulator X and 9 and X-Plane) to get their jobs. Once they pick one or more than one, they disappear. Chat could be used for people to request a certain job, or to ask someone else if they could do it instead. A soldier does soldier-y things.
There would have to be some sort of skill-level. If two doctors were vying for kudos (my imaginary currency, also beloved of Iain M Banks), they could brag about how good they were. Maybe it would be an XP thing. But generic stats like Speed, Health, Strength could be improved upon in a 'gym'. Intelligence stats would enable certain jobs, say to become a pilot requires more intelligence than driving a Tatra. A doctor thus would gain more intelligence than strength, and a soldier the opposite.

MemTheMiner

« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2013, 03:33:12 pm »

This engine is incredible!
An idea i had was a life simulator,just a full blown life simulator(could be sandbox).You start out taking your A levels and that gets your grades and sets you up for the game.So you start off into the world with X amount of money and your A levels(if you get any) so you have to get a job which can be in any sector, you can get ill and put in hospital(also pay the costs if in USA or other country) and work and live find a wife,settle down or go trekking in Peru rain forests or drag racing anything is possible and everything is possible :D This is just my idel game but thats just me so thanks for reading.
Just pm me and this can develop further if you want but chances of that are minimal :D

-MeM
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9